Any of you guys play StarCraft 2?

Spam and Stuff not related to eRep.
KristofferAG
Epic Poster

Any of you guys play StarCraft 2?

Post by KristofferAG » 24 Oct 2012 23:47

StarCraft 2 is undeniably one of the most difficult games to master in the world. Brood War was even more difficult. What makes it so difficult?

StarCraft 2 is an RTS, a real-time strategy game. The basic concept is that you start out with a specified amount of workers (6) and a base. You need to mine minerals and vespene gas, and build an army that is capable of destroying your opponent.

Sounds simple, no? Well, it's not. Absolutely not. There are so many choices you have to make in a game, a game that can last 5 minutes or 60 (though the standard is around 20-25). You need to make an army composition that can destroy your opponents, you need to balance the amount of workers you get, don't be too greedy, but still have a good enouch economy to keep pumping out units.

Mechanics are the basic parts of the game, stuff like macro (economy, harvesting resources and creating units), for instance. WIth each race there is a different key mechanic. Terran can call down "superworkers", MULEs that can harvest minerals (but not gas) at a greater pace than regular harvesters. Zerg have Queens, and these need to constantly spawn new larvae that you can use for units. Protoss has a boost that you need to split on unit production, upgrades and so forth.

And then there are the builds. Hundreds of them. And the mindgames. And the metagame, what goes on outside of the game, the current state of the game, what is normal and what is unusual.

It's not simple, and you need to be fast with your fingers. An APM of around 200 or above is expected of any pro gamer. That means they click at least three buttons every second. Some players go beyond that, and can end games with an average of near 300.

It's not all hardcore though, it's fun too. There are team games, custom games, campaign, you can dick around or you can take it seriously. I prefer the dicking around in team games.

So...

Anyone play it?
Never back for good.
Teknokratene, alltid.

2-Click

Akashaton
Epic Poster

Re: Any of you guys play StarCraft 2?

Post by Akashaton » 27 Oct 2012 19:23

It's great but I don't play it ATM. ;)
Current MoF, PP Free Liberty
Former 4xCP, MoFA, MoD, CoC

Free Liberty:http://tinyurl.com/Free-Liberty-Party
Commander of LoL
http://tinyurl.com/MU-L-o-Loki
and 25.xCongrss Member
Profile:http://www.erepublik.com/en/citizen/profile/3958331

KristofferAG
Epic Poster

Post by KristofferAG » 28 Oct 2012 12:26

Ahhh, you should. I played it at an afterparty last night. Great fun!
Never back for good.
Teknokratene, alltid.

2-Click

KanameDarkwind
Honorable Poster

Post by KanameDarkwind » 11 Nov 2012 03:23

Posting in a deadish thread, but meh.

I played for a long time. Got really well ranked but got tired of all the time spent training and stuff, so I started playing custom games, and jesus are those amazing or what? I don't like the SCII way of ranking the most popular game types higher up, but whatever. Really fun stuff is to be had in those matches.

I remember playing Jailbreak or something like that. There were up to three guards (usually two because to get three guards you had to have max prisoners), and up to eight prisoners. The prisoners start in the middle of this map, and they get like thirty seconds to basically run away before the guards come. The guards go out and try to kill you they're slightly faster than you, but there are all these places in the map where you can juke them, because you're a tiny little scv and they're quite large in comparison. So you can go around the map and run away. You can build all these different things as a prisoner, like a black market shop, scv's to block guards for a moment so they have to break them, turrets to hurt the guards, or even buildings to get a couple mafia thugs to fight for you. You get a mineral every few seconds, and so you can buy a black market for like 45 and hide it somewhere the guards don't usually check to get your money's worth. I always hid mine in corners where no one was hiding or building a base, or in places with fog of war unless they go up a hill or inside the place (like the forests).

Shit was fun. I was garbage at it, but it was still great. The good people were able to get the max number of the best people you could hire, the Mafia guys, like six or eight of them. The end goal was to kill the guards, or capture all the prisoners if you were the guards.

Honestly, when you can make a limitless number of games inside of another game, you know that the original game is great.